After the renovation of our engine stalls, we have focussed our work to a new project.
The next wagon for restoration is No. 8502. As the only remaining of three postal wagons of the Mariazellerbahn, he holds a significant historical value. In order to obtain him for posterity, he now receives a rejuvenation and is therefore being prepared for sandblasting in a freshly renovated stall of our roundhouse.
The following picture shows the different shades of brown used on the Mariazell Railway . After the disassembling the add-on parts, we surprisingly found a spot with the “Mariazellerbahn – Brown” used in the initial livery of this wagon.
Outside the roundhouse, our archivist has browsed the online archive for historical postcards “AKON” of the Austrian National Library for historical impressions of the Mariazell Railway. The following picture representing his findings shows the railway facilities of Ober-Grafendorf during their glory days. Note the impressive wagon shed with a length of 104 meters on the right, which can be found today substantially shorter at the south end of the station Ober-Grafendorf.
The most visible sign is the disappeared diesel filling station, which has been unused for years. She has been sold for building a new siding with connection to the turntable in this section.
While the repainting of the first passenger wagon 3253 has been finished, our next activity will be the renovation of two engine stalls in our roundhouse until the mid of July. When finished, the next wagons will be refurbished.
At the beginning of June, we halso had a special photo session for presenting our members and facilities in 360° panoramic view. Don´t miss a virtual panoramic visit of a working day at our roundhouse and railway facilities – It is definitely worth following the marked link.
On Friday the 22nd of May 2015 we transferred our “new” rolling stock to Ober-Grafendorf. As you can see in the following videos, this was also a very emotional event for the engineers who drove this engines for their last time. More images about the transfer can be found via this Link.
Leaving St. Pölten Alpenbahnhof towards Ober-Grafendorf for the last time:
The engines 1099.01, 11 and 16 are now stored under roof in a shed at our local club facilities, 1099.08 is standing outside at the track yard.
The railway club Mh.6 is glad to announce the preservation of 4 class 1099 locomotives and 4 passenger cars of the Mariazell Railway in cooperation with the local operator NÖVOG and STYX, the new owner of the historic railway facilities in Ober-Grafendorf.
We are excited about this positive development and great step towards our railway museum in Ober-Grafendorf.
The following rolling stock will be transferred to our facilities:
1099.001 (currently not operational, property of Club Mh.6)
1099.008 (currently not operational, permanent loan NÖVOG)
1099.011 (currently not operational, permanent loan NÖVOG)
1099.016 (ready for operation, permanent loan NÖVOG)
3245 B (2nd class, )
3257 B (2nd class)
3258 B (2nd class)
4221 BD (2nd class, with baggage compartment)
The passenger cars are almost complete and will be used for our future passenger service between Ober-Grafendorf and Bischofstetten.
*) The photos of the locomotives come from their operating time and, unfortunately, do not reflect the current state of resist